Friday, October 2, 2009

Eskaton Press Kit - 1983

Coming up is something from my personal collection. The press-kit from Eskaton from 1983.

In 1983, I was studying for by PHD (Doctorate) in Computer Science at the Courant Institute of Mathematics at New York University. I was not enjoying myself, and I wanted to start writing software for a living. So, I decided to take a few months off and travel to Europe for my first time. At the time, I was trading cassette tapes with some French collectors like Philippe Renaud, Bernard Gueffier, and Jean-Pascal Boffo. They graciously invited me to come and visit them when I was in France.

After spending a few days in Paris, I went down to the small town of Blois, about 1-1/2 hours south of Paris by train, to stay with my friend Philippe Renaud. Miraculously, Eskaton was playing in the local auditorium that night. There were maybe 50 people in the auditorium that night, many of them teenagers who probably had nothing else to do in Blois. By the end of the concert, there were maybe 10 people remaining in the audience.

After the concert, Philippe and I went backstage to meet the band. For some reason, I came away with a press-kit.

I also recorded the concert, and last year, I uploaded it to DIME. It is easy to find this concert if you use Soulseek.

2 comments:

  1. i see the Fiction 1983 album were to be called "Communications" 1982 - So i bet this is from 1981 or 1982 :::: Do you know of this bootleg: eskaton 9-11-85 nove, france - feel free to send me a mail. we can exchange bootlegs again !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1983 Blois (1983-06-03) FLAC
    1983 Eskaton Kommandkestra (edited Blois MP3)
    1983 St. Denis (May) FLAC
    1985 Festival de taverses Reims MP3
    and im gonna assemble ICARE Soon !

    id love to know what you have of Von Zamla/Samla/Zamla Mammas Manna/Eskaton/Univers Zero Bootlegs--- let me know one day !

    ReplyDelete