Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Slag Tanz

I have just listened to a recording of Slag Tanz from the recent concerts at the Alhambra in Paris. Vander has added about 5 minutes onto the piece, and the tune now clocks in at over 16 minutes.

When Magma first started playing Kohntarkosz on stage in 1973, they would change the piece ever few concerts. Of course, the first version of Kohntarkosz sounds nothing like the final studio version.

But, I am wondering if we are about to enter an exciting time with Magma when we can sit back and watch the compositional process unfold around Slag Tanz. Will Vander add more nuances to the piece every few weeks?

7 comments:

  1. The "real name" is Wöst Klameuhn. I've always considered this new piece of music too repetitive (even for Magma) but now it looks like the piece is developping into something I really like ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's an impotant creative period for christian vander

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm now listening to the Le Triton concert from June (I still don't have the L'Alhambra show) and I think that at that time not only were Slag Tanz and Felicite Thosz less developed, but also not as good as they sounded this weekend. It's definitely a good creative period for Christian & the band!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so incredible that they are having a a creative period. I've been waiting for Christian to start developing new material for years. Frankly, I never thought it would happen. He's like, what? 59 now? An incredible inspiration.

    It's neat also that the changes in his pieces don't feel like linear progressions. For instance, Kohntakosz on Hhai Live 1975 sounds way different from BBC Londres, but I can't say that one is more "advanced" or "final" than the other, although I think that the Londres one is extremely special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that Vander is almost 62.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christian Vander was born on February 21, 1948.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not as old as I thought. Born the same year as moi! Like the way Wöst Klameuhn is shaping up.

    ReplyDelete